Terrain Project - Hacking and Cutting!

I finally got my act together this past weekend and did a little bit of cutting and hacking.  Hacking HDF, and hacking after I finished sawing into damn stuff with my Dremel.  Yes, I was wearing a mask and goggles.  Yes, it still smelled deliciously sweet and lung-collapsy.  After the first time, I made a deliberate effort NOT to inhale.

Anywhere, here's the new piece of HDF I'm going to be using for doors.  I've stencilled it out so that the doors themselves are wider than the actual 50mm "Wide Gate Markers", because they're going to be sliding into little slots inside the building proper.


I don't have a table-saw, so I have to use my Dremel to perform the magic that is terrain-building.  The big problem with a Dremel is that it's a rather big instrument, so it's really hard to get straight cuts on lines that are far into the surface I'm actually cutting.  This made my HDF "doors" a little smaller than I expected, but they should still be big enough to fully overlap a hole the size of a Wide Gate.


Next come the Wide Gates themselves.


I've cut them into two of my pieces of foamcore, right in the middle.  That, of course, means that I'll have to shave a bit off each edge of the foamcore sheet to make them all fit neatly together (I usually take a larger chunk off one side to make them fit, but whatever!).  Imagine the HDF Doors sliding into a slot on the inside of the building, blocking up these Wide Gates from the outside.  Here's a visual.


And here's a picture of how much bigger the Doors are than the hole (the piece left over from cutting out the hole is being used here to show the difference).


And hell, maybe I'll throw a control panel next to the door to make it even look more interesting.  Next time, I should have the basic room (4 walls) fully constructed, and I'll be starting to put together the frames that will hold the doors securely in place during play.  See you then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year - and Updates!

Battle Report - Boudicca, Scourge of Rome VS Manfred Rochdale

The Devotee of Tezcatlipoca, the Smoking Mirror